The Mill restaurant???
Jim
2005-11-13 16:07:22 UTC
Anyone read the scathing review in todays Citizen? It was quite good.
Joe Canuck
2005-11-13 16:13:41 UTC
No, what do they say about the place?
Susan
2005-11-13 17:04:40 UTC
Post by Joe Canuck
Post by Jim
Anyone read the scathing review in todays Citizen? It was quite good.
No, what do they say about the place?
http://www.canada.com/ottawa/ottawacitizen/news/citizensweekly/story.html?id=3ca34daa-9ae6-44d2-acaf-81ff0198805c

Grist for The Mill: '... the worst restaurant I have ever reviewed'

Anne DesBrisay
The Ottawa Citizen

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Inside this former gristmill that predates Confederation is a riverbank
restaurant everyone who lives in Ottawa knows about and anyone who has
ever taken a bus tour to Ottawa has likely visited. It is a place that
calls itself "one of Ottawa's most important landmarks both for its'
(sic) history and for it's (sic) fine cuisine."

It wasn't hunger for the newfangled that brought me to The Mill. I knew
well enough this roast beef and steakhouse would be serving "nostalgic"
dishes. Comfortably timeless in an appealingly gnarled-around-the-edges
sort of way, staffed with charming career waiters who deliver thick
slabs of rare beef and who can shake up a dry martini as readily as a
Shirley Temple. I went to this iconic restaurant, I suppose, looking for
the Ed's Warehouse of my Toronto childhood.

At least that's what I was hoping to find on my first visit. I went a
second time with as open a mind as I could muster. I made a third and
conclusive trip just to be certain I could safely tell you that The Mill
is the worst restaurant I have ever reviewed.

Where to begin? How about with the greeting. There isn't one. The first
thing you see are tacky paper signs, informing you of the proper use of
coupon books (No discount on the table d'hote) and The Mill's commitment
to the Kyoto Protocol. Yet a third notice warns against drinking while
pregnant. If that doesn't make you feel welcome, try having to go
looking for a host to seat you. I did just that. Twice. Three times I've
been invited (by a distracted, harried man) to hang up my own coat on
racks at the back.

The Mill's Kyoto commitment must explain why our table is in darkness.
For 15 minutes we can't even read the wine list, until a waiter shows up
to light the table lamp. At another meal, at a different table, half the
light bulbs above our booth are burned out.

The "fine cuisine" has infantile names. There's the "I'll Never Get a
Cold" prime rib (with garlic), the "Touch of Heaven" or "3 Is Not a
Crowd" prime rib (three colour peppercorns, see?) and the "Queen
Neptune's" chicken and shrimp.

Other dishes just seem nasty and confused. Who wants a starter of "baked
baguette stuffed with chicken and cheddar cheese, egg and onion, served
chilled"? Or "sweet and sour pork with red onion and baby corn served
with dutchesse (sic) potatoes"? Or a breaded chicken breast "stuffed
with salami and mozzarella cheese, topped with a light Maple au-jus,
served with rice." Maple and mozzarella? Really?

The Wild Game Special (no discount cards on wild game either) has a
starter of ground buffalo meat balls baked in a "red Currant and Tomato
sauce (sic)." Who dreams that up?

The shrimp in the cocktail are water logged, unseasoned, flavourless.
The soup of the day tastes of base and looks like plate scrapings. The
escargots are mushy, livery tasting, coated in what could only be jarred
garlic. The "horseradish lemon and orange zest sauce" with the
coconut-crusted shrimp seems to be no more than horseradish blended
(unhappily) with marmalade. And the $16 "appetizer combo" is a cocktail
glass of the same flaccid shrimp surrounded by rock hard, stone-cold,
over-battered, over-fried, mostly-squidless calamari. Scattered around
the so-called squid are sticks of fried zucchini, one-quarter vegetable,
three-quarter breading.

We ask if the salmon is fresh. Our waiter seems confused. "Well it used
to be fresh, but now it's frozen. Everything's frozen here." (I'm not
making this up.) We ask for clarity on the ingredients of the soup for
the sake of my companion's allergies. "I wouldn't risk it," replies our
waiter. "Could you check with the chef?" we ask sweetly. "He's gone
home," we are told. "He's made the soup and now he's gone home." It is
6.30 p.m., midweek and I'm about to order a $29 rack of lamb and the
chef's gone home.

The main point of The Mill should be the roast beef. I've tried it twice
(three times if you count the roast beef "Wellington style") and it is
flabby, tasteless and, in the case of the "Touch of Heaven" prime rib,
further debased with a hellish gluey brown sauce welded to its surface.
A single, sorry, grilled-to-death portobello mushroom rests on top, like
a spray on a coffin. You can smell the powdered base from across the
table.

A breast of duck suffers from another glutinous mushroom sauce. The long
grain and wild rice seems to have been cooked in a saline solution. A
side of asparagus (ordered a la carte) is carelessly tossed on top.

The filet mignon is a partial success. The meat is spilling out of the
limp bacon skirting and requires more chewing than you'd expect from
tenderloin, but it has a pleasant grill flavour and doesn't come with
anything you want to scrape off.

Carrots and broccoli round out every plate, every visit, dinner and
lunch. The carrots are undercooked, littered with raw garlic, and suffer
the tired look of vegetables prepped hours before and left to soak.

At lunch, the soup tasted like cream of MSG. We followed this with the
roast beef "Wellington-style" which comes well done only. Why was that?
Well, because it's wrapped in pastry and baked. "Actually," our waiter
whispers, "it's the chef's way of using up leftovers. But I shouldn't
say that." (I kid you not.) The whole ensemble, from the sorry pastry
with the rock hard edges, and the slabs of grey meat and bits of
mushroom within, was outrageous in its dreadfulness. This for $18.95.

The dessert menu is a laminated booklet with photographs of colourful
edible oil products. I asked if any dessert is made in house. "No, we
buy them, but then we fancy them up." Three words: chemical, artificial,
soul-less.

On average, the Mill marks up its wines 300 per cent, about 100 per cent
more than most restaurants do. A nice bottle of wine may be the only way
to swallow this food, but then it will add significantly to the bottom
line of a Mill dinner.

And the service? Orders were confused, side dishes forgotten, plates
removed at whim, a bill was received that included eight items we never
ordered. The service wasn't rude. It was just banquet-hall amateur.

One last thing: the washrooms. They smell of old train station. At our
first visit, two stalls in the women's room were "out of order;" a third
was missing a lock, a fourth a privacy wall. Plaster is peeling, the
soap dispenser leaks. Two weeks later, at my final visit, nothing had
changed, been cleaned or repaired. The "Out Of Order" signs just looked
tired.

You get the sinking feeling that nobody here cares, that this is a
restaurant attempting to make as much money for as little effort as
possible. Really, truly, I can't warn you away enough.
Joe Canuck
2005-11-13 17:16:05 UTC
Post by Susan
Post by Joe Canuck
Post by Jim
Anyone read the scathing review in todays Citizen? It was quite good.
No, what do they say about the place?
http://www.canada.com/ottawa/ottawacitizen/news/citizensweekly/story.html?id=3ca34daa-9ae6-44d2-acaf-81ff0198805c
Grist for The Mill: '... the worst restaurant I have ever reviewed'
<snip>

Thank you.

Yech, that sounds remarkably like some truck stops I've been at. It
seems to me the best meals are prepared and consumed at home.
KMAN
2005-11-13 22:46:46 UTC
Post by Joe Canuck
Post by Susan
Post by Joe Canuck
Post by Jim
Anyone read the scathing review in todays Citizen? It was quite good.
No, what do they say about the place?
http://www.canada.com/ottawa/ottawacitizen/news/citizensweekly/story.html?id=
3ca34daa-9ae6-44d2-acaf-81ff0198805c
Grist for The Mill: '... the worst restaurant I have ever reviewed'
<snip>
Thank you.
Yech, that sounds remarkably like some truck stops I've been at. It
seems to me the best meals are prepared and consumed at home.
LOL. The Mill hasn't been any good for a long time. I can only speculate
they survive on the strength of uninformed tourists.
Commentator
Sunday, November 13, 2005
All I can say is...

Wow.
I am 3 of 10. Prepare to be assimilated.
Commentator
Sunday, November 13, 2005
All I can say is...
Wow.
Oh, out of curiosity, do they distribute the Xpress?

VBG
I am 3 of 10. Prepare to be assimilated.
Rob Kelk
2005-11-13 21:57:34 UTC
Post by Susan
Post by Joe Canuck
Post by Jim
Anyone read the scathing review in todays Citizen? It was quite good.
No, what do they say about the place?
http://www.canada.com/ottawa/ottawacitizen/news/citizensweekly/story.html?id=3ca34daa-9ae6-44d2-acaf-81ff0198805c
Grist for The Mill: '... the worst restaurant I have ever reviewed'
Anne DesBrisay
The Ottawa Citizen
<snip>

Good Lord.

I remember when The Mill was a good, if somewhat expensive, restaurant,
a few decades ago. Now it appears it's just expensive.

(In a decent restaurant, the chef goes home when the kitchen closes, no
earlier. It's his or her reputation on the line, after all. Going home
at 6:30 is inexcusable...)
--
Rob Kelk
Personal address (ROT-13): eboxryx -ng- tznvy -qbg- pbz
ott.* newsgroup charters: <http://onag.pinetree.org>
Frederic Ouellet
2005-11-13 18:03:59 UTC
Is this the Wakefield Mill that they are referring to? There are two Mill's
in Wakefield.......but I'm not sure one is still in operation. Just
curious.....

Cynthia
--
http://babyitems.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album01&id=bag
Susan
2005-11-13 20:17:17 UTC
Post by Frederic Ouellet
Is this the Wakefield Mill that they are referring to? There are two Mill's
in Wakefield.......but I'm not sure one is still in operation. Just
curious.....
Cynthia
No, it's The Mill Restaurant just off the Ottawa River Pkwy in Ottawa.

It used to be famous for succulent roast beef, but a succession of
management changes has made the food into an expensive waste. The prime
rib used to come to your table exactly as you wanted it, dripping with
aromatic juices, with creamy mashed and another hot veg, salad and a
roll. mmmmmmm - but that was back in the 70s and 80s. It's not like that
anymore.

Susan
Randall
2005-11-13 20:16:25 UTC
Post by Susan
Post by Frederic Ouellet
Is this the Wakefield Mill that they are referring to? There are two Mill's
in Wakefield.......but I'm not sure one is still in operation. Just
curious.....
Cynthia
No, it's The Mill Restaurant just off the Ottawa River Pkwy in Ottawa.
It used to be famous for succulent roast beef, but a succession of
management changes has made the food into an expensive waste. The prime
rib used to come to your table exactly as you wanted it, dripping with
aromatic juices, with creamy mashed and another hot veg, salad and a
roll. mmmmmmm - but that was back in the 70s and 80s. It's not like that
anymore.
Susan
Went there for an office Christmas get together about 3 years ago and it was
just awful. The soup was cold, forgot items, potatoes looked like old
dinosaur terds, meat not cooked as requested, slow and impolite service. It
used to be so good. I had even proposed to my wife there in 1994 and we
would go back every once in a while. Not anymore since that last
experience.
Frederic Ouellet
2005-11-13 21:10:37 UTC
Yeah, my hubby said it used to be good until management changed. I actually
know that place, and from what has been seen in the kitchen, I would never
eat there. Chef and cooks smoking while cooking, and that's the least of
it. Yuck

Cynthia
Susan
KMAN
2005-11-13 22:49:53 UTC
Post by Susan
Post by Frederic Ouellet
Is this the Wakefield Mill that they are referring to? There are two Mill's
in Wakefield.......but I'm not sure one is still in operation. Just
curious.....
Cynthia
No, it's The Mill Restaurant just off the Ottawa River Pkwy in Ottawa.
It used to be famous for succulent roast beef, but a succession of
management changes has made the food into an expensive waste. The prime
rib used to come to your table exactly as you wanted it, dripping with
aromatic juices, with creamy mashed and another hot veg, salad and a
roll. mmmmmmm - but that was back in the 70s and 80s. It's not like that
anymore.
Susan
I was thinking it was not that long ago, but Susan is quite right. I don't
think it's been any good since the 80s. A fantastic location gone to waste.
Who knows, maybe there will be a change of management in future and things
will turn around. Goodness knows we could use a some more quality
restaurants in Ottawa, where good cuisine goes to die, save for no more than
a half dozen or so establishments.
Mel Sharples
2005-11-13 23:32:58 UTC
Post by KMAN
Post by Susan
Post by Frederic Ouellet
[...]
Yep, sounds like a real candidate for "Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares"...I
swear I read that review, and heard Gordon Ramsey's voice...

http://tinyurl.com/688eq
Olaf Timandahaff
Odd, I heard an edited Flaming Poultice.
Olaf Timandahaff
Please provide a Lits, save us all some money.
KMAN
I am sure you know where and how to get lit!
Olaf Timandahaff
2005-11-14 02:08:28 UTC
In article <BF9D586F.226E7%k-m-a-***@hotmail.com>, k-m-a-***@hotmail.com
says...
Post by KMAN
Post by Olaf Timandahaff
says...
Post by KMAN
Post by Susan
Post by Frederic Ouellet
[...]
OK, I'll start the lits,

I like,
The Yangtze
Jim
2005-11-14 02:26:41 UTC
I like "Baton Rouge" in Kanata. I don't like "The Keg" or "Blue Cactus" in
the Market.
KMAN
2005-11-14 02:52:44 UTC
Post by Jim
I like "Baton Rouge" in Kanata. I don't like "The Keg" or "Blue Cactus" in
the Market.
Well, if we were discussing chain restaurants (which are of course never the
best restaurants a city has to offer, unless your city only has chain
restaurants lol) then Baton Rouge is one of the best of them, imo.
Olaf Timandahaff
OK, you don't like Baton Rouge or Yangtze,,,,
KMAN
2005-11-14 04:05:20 UTC
Post by Olaf Timandahaff
says...
Post by KMAN
Post by Jim
I like "Baton Rouge" in Kanata. I don't like "The Keg" or "Blue Cactus" in
the Market.
Well, if we were discussing chain restaurants (which are of course never the
best restaurants a city has to offer, unless your city only has chain
restaurants lol) then Baton Rouge is one of the best of them, imo.
OK, you don't like Baton Rouge or Yangtze,,,,
I like Baton Rouge in the category of chain restaurants :-)

The ribs are good, and you can get a decent side of vegetables unlike a lot
of places that just give you some dead lettuce and a pinkish tomato. But it
is pretty expensive in that category.

Actually, Yangtze is pretty good quality food, although I find it none to
exciting, the dim sum is one of the biggest rip-offs around, and the
atmosphere is noisy and too clustered.
Olaf Timandahaff
2005-11-14 05:26:06 UTC
In article <BF9D772E.22711%k-m-a-***@hotmail.com>, k-m-a-***@hotmail.com
says...
Post by KMAN
Post by Olaf Timandahaff
says...
Post by KMAN
Post by Jim
I like "Baton Rouge" in Kanata. I don't like "The Keg" or "Blue Cactus" in
the Market.
Well, if we were discussing chain restaurants (which are of course never the
best restaurants a city has to offer, unless your city only has chain
restaurants lol) then Baton Rouge is one of the best of them, imo.
OK, you don't like Baton Rouge or Yangtze,,,,
I like Baton Rouge in the category of chain restaurants :-)
The ribs are good, and you can get a decent side of vegetables unlike a lot
of places that just give you some dead lettuce and a pinkish tomato. But it
is pretty expensive in that category.
OK, I won't go there.
Post by KMAN
Actually, Yangtze is pretty good quality food, although I find it none to
exciting, the dim sum is one of the biggest rip-offs around, and the
atmosphere is noisy and too clustered.
Sometimes I go to Ben Ben across the street.
[quiet and not cluttered]

Where is teh good restaurants?
we aren't getting anywhere here, Kman!
Fred Ma
2005-11-14 07:51:09 UTC
Post by Olaf Timandahaff
says...
Post by KMAN
Post by Olaf Timandahaff
says...
Post by KMAN
Actually, Yangtze is pretty good quality food, although I find it none to
exciting, the dim sum is one of the biggest rip-offs around, and the
atmosphere is noisy and too clustered.
Man. That's what dimsum is. It would be just too weird to have dimsum
outside of lunch time-ish, in the dark quiet.

About rip-offs, well, Yangtze is certainly pricey. But remember, it's
Ottawa,there just ain't the competition.
Post by Olaf Timandahaff
Sometimes I go to Ben Ben across the street.
[quiet and not cluttered]
Dark, though. Come to think of it, I can't think of a bright restaurant
at night. Except for Denny's, and maybe Chu Shing (across Somerset from
Yangtze). Chu Shing is lower priced than Yangtze, the decor is more plain,
but I don't notice any lesser quality in the food. Then again, I hardly
go any of those places.
Post by Olaf Timandahaff
Where is teh good restaurants?
we aren't getting anywhere here, Kman!
Dairy Queen.

Fred
Olaf Timandahaff
2005-11-14 08:27:00 UTC
Post by Fred Ma
Post by Olaf Timandahaff
says...
Post by KMAN
Post by Olaf Timandahaff
says...
Post by Olaf Timandahaff
Sometimes I go to Ben Ben across the street.
[quiet and not cluttered]
Dark, though. Come to think of it, I can't think of a bright restaurant
at night. Except for Denny's, and maybe Chu Shing (across Somerset from
Yangtze). Chu Shing is lower priced than Yangtze, the decor is more plain,
but I don't notice any lesser quality in the food. Then again, I hardly
go any of those places.
I haven't been there since i was the Fuliwah, I'll try it! lower priced
is good.
Jeezus!
Rob Kelk
2005-11-14 23:43:04 UTC
Post by Fred Ma
Post by Olaf Timandahaff
says...
<snip>
Post by Fred Ma
Post by Olaf Timandahaff
Post by KMAN
Actually, Yangtze is pretty good quality food, although I find it none to
exciting, the dim sum is one of the biggest rip-offs around, and the
atmosphere is noisy and too clustered.
Man. That's what dimsum is. It would be just too weird to have dimsum
outside of lunch time-ish, in the dark quiet.
From what I understand, dim sum is the equivalent of English teatime, so
"quiet" is definitely in order. (Also, you're supposed to order what
you want, instead of waiting for it to show up on a cart.) But you
aren't going to find that style of dim sum in Ottawa.

That said, I like the dim sum at Beijing Tian Run (on Bank St., near the
LCBO warehouse).

Other than dim sum, if you want "real" Chinese food, you pretty much
have to go to Chinatown.

<snip>
Post by Fred Ma
Post by Olaf Timandahaff
Where is teh good restaurants?
we aren't getting anywhere here, Kman!
Dairy Queen.
<g>

Nate's serves good food at a reasonable price, but a deli isn't what one
would call fine dining.

Has anybody been to The Place Next Door since it re-opened? I believe
they share the kitchen with Nate's, but I'm not sure of that...
Steve Bigelow
2005-11-14 23:58:04 UTC
From what I understand, dim sum is the equivalent of English teatime, so
Or Vancouver.
Olaf Timandahaff
Noted!
KMAN
2005-11-15 02:16:32 UTC
Post by Olaf Timandahaff
Post by Joe Canuck
Post by Fred Ma
Post by Olaf Timandahaff
says...
<snip>
Post by Fred Ma
Post by Olaf Timandahaff
Post by KMAN
Actually, Yangtze is pretty good quality food, although I find it none to
exciting, the dim sum is one of the biggest rip-offs around, and the
atmosphere is noisy and too clustered.
Man. That's what dimsum is. It would be just too weird to have dimsum
outside of lunch time-ish, in the dark quiet.
From what I understand, dim sum is the equivalent of English teatime, so
"quiet" is definitely in order. (Also, you're supposed to order what
you want, instead of waiting for it to show up on a cart.) But you
aren't going to find that style of dim sum in Ottawa.
That said, I like the dim sum at Beijing Tian Run (on Bank St., near the
LCBO warehouse).
Noted!
Since we are getting into the whole junky sugary red saucy sort of asian
food territory, something a little less offensive to the palate and the
intestines can be found at the Singapore restaurant, just off Carling across
from the Coliseum theatres. There are many wonderful dishes. I favour the
hot and sour soup, which will melt your eyeballs if you get it at full
spice, and pretty much any of the black bean sauce dishes. Very good spring
rolls. Somewhat bizarre service, but attentive. The dish called singapore
noodles is tremendous. Banana fritters for dessert. Takeout available but
just not the same (these dishes are not really meant to be smashed into a
container).

Mel Sharples
2005-11-14 14:00:51 UTC
Post by Olaf Timandahaff
says...
Post by KMAN
Post by Olaf Timandahaff
says...
Post by KMAN
Actually, Yangtze is pretty good quality food, although I find it
none to exciting, the dim sum is one of the biggest rip-offs around,
and the atmosphere is noisy and too clustered.
Sometimes I go to Ben Ben across the street.
[quiet and not cluttered]
YUM!!! Love Ben Ben's lunch specials!!! I was going to post their name,
but you beat me to it!
Steve Bigelow
2005-11-14 23:57:02 UTC
Post by KMAN
Actually, Yangtze is pretty good quality food, although I find it none to
exciting, the dim sum is one of the biggest rip-offs around, and the
atmosphere is noisy and too clustered.
That's what dim sum is.
Noisy, busy, kids running around....perfect!
KMAN
2005-11-14 02:50:33 UTC
Post by Olaf Timandahaff
says...
Post by KMAN
Post by Olaf Timandahaff
says...
Post by KMAN
Post by Susan
Post by Frederic Ouellet
[...]
If we are going to start at the bottom of the barrell, there's no challenge
in working our way up ;-)
Steve Bigelow
Good Lord, you are so predictable.
KMAN
I know, I know...
Jim
2005-11-13 21:22:05 UTC
Here's the full story. I'm a subscriber so I think it's alright to post
here. If not, then delete.

cashcap
2005-11-14 13:31:42 UTC
Isn't Lowell Green a big fan of The Mill?
KMAN
2005-11-14 13:46:46 UTC
Post by cashcap
Isn't Lowell Green a big fan of The Mill?
That's what he's paid to say. I'm guessing however he doesn't actually eat
at The Mill or drive a car from Mews. Then again, maybe he does eat crappy
food and drive a Chev.
rbc
Ive seen him on the queensway.....d00d drives a Chev
KMAN
2005-11-14 20:06:44 UTC
Post by rbc
Post by KMAN
Post by cashcap
Isn't Lowell Green a big fan of The Mill?
That's what he's paid to say. I'm guessing however he doesn't actually eat
at The Mill or drive a car from Mews. Then again, maybe he does eat crappy
food and drive a Chev.
Ive seen him on the queensway.....d00d drives a Chev
There ya go! And it certainly appears he eats a lot of crappy food. So maybe
he's a 100% honest endorser. What else does he shill for?